Social work can be a very rewarding field. It’s also a field that is in great demand these days. If you’re interested in a career in social work, there are several ways you can learn more about the profession. One of the best ways is to take open courseware classes to increase your knowledge. Open courseware classes are totally free, and allow you to learn at your own pace. You can find open courseware classes online from some of the finest universities in the world. Here are 19 that would be of interest to anyone considering the field of social work.
- Introducing Social Work Practice: This is a great course for those who are trying to decide if social work is the right field for them. It looks at different approaches to social work and the skills involved.[OpenLearn]
- Aging and Disability: Transitions into Residential Care: This course, designed for social workers working with the elderly teaches students about the issues involved in transitioning elderly patients from their homes into residential care facilities. [OpenLearn]
- The Limits of Primary Care: This class explores the access to community services for those that need them. [OpenLearn]
- Community Care: This course explores how language nuances affect attitudes toward social services. It helps social workers learn to communicate appropriately with clients about the community care resources. [Open University]
- Social Psychology: This class from MIT explores social communities and how they use and share resources and relate to each other. [MIT]
- Changing the Face of American Healthcare: This course from Notre Dame explores the strengths and weaknesses of our healthcare system and how changes might help our society. [Notre Dame]
- Foundations of Public Health: This course from the University of California at Irvine presents the framework, principles, and core responsibilities of public health research and practice from a multidisciplinary perspective. [University of California, Irvine]
Take a look at these open courseware classes on social work. They can help you learn more about the field to determine if it is the right career for you. If you already know that social work is a field you’d like to pursue, these classes can help you increase your knowledge so that you can be better prepared for the real courses you’ll take in order to obtain that degree in social work.